The Tavern has been welcoming travellers on the Old Province Road (Route 107) since 1793. Now preserved, with many of its original features still intact. Its five private rooms (each with a private bath) preserve a federal period charm. Its several common rooms range from the long wooden taproom to the indian-shuttered parlor
The house and store were built in 1793 by Joseph Young, Esq. In 1799, Captain Samuel French, an official "Innkeeper", purchased the house. According to the December 1886 Academy Record, French's inn was "the most noted public house in all this part of the country" for thirty-five years. It served travellers on the Old Province Road which ran from Portsmouth to northern New England and Canada. It was named The Temperance Tavern in 1815, when a temperance movement swept New England.
Gilmanton Four Courners
Post Office Box 369
Gilmanton, New Hampshire 03237
Temperance Tavern, Gilmanton NH
Good Hotels USA Good Hotels USA
Good Hotels New Hampshire Good Hotels New Hampshire